Start a new topic

Soldering basic tips

Hi,
i'm not sure i'm posting this in the right section, and i have a really hard time to be concise. my text will contain a whole lot of unnecessary information and may be hell to read, sorry in advance.

So i've just popped out my brand new soldering iron(2nd use), i put the smallest tip i had, adjusted it to sligthly over 350C.
Take a look at the Wire-free dehum/dehiss kit installation video, i'm hyped, it seems to take 30 seconds, Luke is giving tips, my iron is hot, go, go, go!

My solder 60/40 will turn to a muddy, earthy paste if i touch it with the tip of my iron, it will only liquify when touching the side of it, and kind of far from the tip.

By the time i had installed the new speaker, the tip was black. I desoldered the first one using a braid, and cleaned the contact with the braid. But my tip was becoming black and crusty.

I tried to clean it with a steel wool, then re-tin it. but the solder will just bubble out and fall and wouldn't stick to it.

I tried pre-tining the capacitor next to the battery contact, but nothing to do. The solder would melt very high on the iron, make a bubble, and would congeal halfway to the pad, leaving that muddy paste.

At that point i changed the tip, and i can see it's not made from the same material either. I put tin on it, and the tin sticks to it.

I hardly succeed in pre-tining the battery contact. The solder would simply not flow to the pad, i had to put a WHOLE lot of solder so it would simply overflow to the pad, and work it with the side of the tip.

I had quite the hard time pre-tining the capacitor, i had tried and tried over 5 times, before having a glob of solder sticking halfly well, and it was not a sexy solder.

The first, bigger resistance, same thing, put the tip on the piece, put the tin on the tip, and mud. It was very easy to rework with the side of the iron though.

And then... The second smallest resistance. Putting small dabs of solder was not an option. My solder would simply agglomerate to the tip of the tin wire, until a bubble large enough to stick to the tip of the iron formed, wich bubble was too big and stock the resistor next to it... I worked it out a bit, and there goes the smaller resistor... Stuck in a bubble of tin at the tip of my iron.

Using a sponge, i could work the resistor out of the tin drop.

All is not lost. So i whip out my desoldering braid, and try to clean the area... But it wouldn't... it just, smeared the muddy solder all over. At that point, the legs of the chip very next to where used to be a microscopic resistor, were all covered in an earthy and bristle paste. I naively applied the braid and the side of the tip of my soldering iron and administered the final blow, i brushed off most of the legs on the chip, put the iron on his stand, and broke the board in half before chucking it in the bin, spitting on it!

At that point i had invested a lot of money on that GBA, the whole audio mods, a new IPS Screen, UV printed shell, buttons, etc. etc... So i got another one coming from eBay, and i need to know, what were my mistakes, what did i do wrong? Why would the solder either stick or pearl on my tips depending on wich one i used? Why would my solder turn to earth when heated from the tip? Why would my first tip get all crusted after cleaning and redoing only 2 solders, while to other bigger that i already used to change batteries in cartridge would stay all shiny? Why would my tin agglomerate on itself instead of flowing on the iron?

And if you think i'm a lost cause, and no amount of tips would permitt me to succeed... Do you know a reputable place that would install my mods in Canada?

Login or Signup to post a comment